After a divorce, you’re left with some tangible reminders of your married life. One of those reminders is your wedding ring.
While the wedding ring may hold sentimental value, it can also be a reminder of a failed relationship.
what do you do with your wedding ring after the divorce is final?
Now that you no longer need it, here are some ideas of what to do with your wedding ring.
1. Sell your wedding ring
You can sell your wedding ring in several ways. One option is to go to a jewelry store, which will give you an appraisal. You can also try online options like Craigslist or eBay. Selling is a good way to get rid of your wedding ring quickly and make some money in the process.
2. Turn your wedding ring into a gift
My parents divorced when I was in my early teens. However, my mom held onto her wedding ring, and when I graduated high school, she gave me a diamond necklace. The diamond was from her wedding ring.
As for the band that held the diamond, she had my birthstone put into its place. This was such a unique and special gift. She understood that although their marriage was over, my parents’ union made me.
Another option is to give your grown child or family member who is getting married your wedding ring as a gift.
3. Keep your wedding ring as a memory of your past relationship
If you don’t want to get rid of your wedding ring or don’t have anyone to give it to like my mom did, you can keep it as a memory of your past.
Some people have their wedding ring melted down and made into a new piece of jewelry. This could be something like a necklace or a pair of earrings.
4. Donate your wedding ring to a charity
If you don’t want anything to do with your wedding ring, you can always donate it to charity. Several charities will take wedding rings and use the money to help others.
One example is the nonprofit With This Ring. This organization accepts wedding rings and uses the profits to benefit those who need clean drinking water.
5. Melting down the gold and using it to create something new
One option is to melt down the gold and create something new. This can be a cathartic experience, and it can also give you a chance to start fresh. This could be anything from a simple pendant to a piece of jewelry that symbolizes moving on.
6. Sell your ring for money to buy something that symbolizes your new life
This could be a piece of jewelry representing your independence or a tattoo that symbolizes your new beginning.
Whatever you choose, selling your wedding ring can help you move on from your old life and start fresh.
Here are a few places you can sell your wedding ring:
1. Pawnshops: Pawn shops are a good option if you need cash quickly. They typically won’t give you the total value of your ring, but they may give you a fair price. Doing your research first is important, as not all pawn shops are created equal.
2. Jewelry stores: Jewelry stores may be willing to buy your ring outright or offer you a trade-in credit towards a new piece of jewelry.
3. Online auction sites: Online auction sites like eBay or Craigslist can be a good option for selling your wedding ring. You’ll reach a wider audience of potential buyers, but you’ll also need to be careful of scams.
4. Private buyers: You may get more money by selling your wedding ring to a private buyer, but it can also be more challenging to find a buyer, and there’s always the risk of getting scammed.
5. Online jewelers. Worthy is an online jeweler that specializes in secondhand diamonds. Worthy will appraise your ring and then auction it off to their network of buyers. Another option is WP Diamonds, a diamond buyer that makes offers based on the quality and weight of the stone. WP Diamonds also has an excellent reputation and offers a hassle-free way to sell your wedding ring.
In the End…
No matter what you decide to do with your wedding ring, make sure you do what feels right for you. You have to live with the decision, so do what will help you move on from your marriage in a healthy way. Consider what would be the best way to move on from your divorce and create something positive from a difficult situation.