7 Lies Single Moms Believe and the Truth that Sets Them Free
Seven common lies all single moms believe and God’s truth that can set you free. Why we believe these lies and how to break free and learn the truth.
Why single moms believe lies
Parenting alone is one of the most challenging jobs. You question your choices, and you can’t help but compare yourself to everyone else.
Before you know it, you’re feeling down on yourself and start to believe, “I can’t do this.”
But that’s a lie. You can parent your child. No one can be a better mom to that particular child than you.
Related: Bible Verses to Turn To When the World Feels Scary
God’s given you everything you need to be a wonderful mother to your child.
Even if you’re parenting by yourself.
Related: What the Bible Says About Truth
So, why do single moms think they’re not capable?
Maybe you were in a relationship that left you feeling less great about yourself.
Or months or years of the demands of single parenting often lead to an isolating life.
And that’s just where the trouble begins.
Because when the enemy can isolate us, he can tell us whatever he wants, and we believe it.
Related: 40 Who I am In Christ Bible Verses You Can Cling To
If you aren’t filling yourself up regularly with God’s Word about you, then the world and the enemy will be more than happy to fill that void.
And those words won’t be kind.
As a single mom, you won’t have anyone at home to counter those voices in your head.
As the years go on, you begin to believe those lies are now the truth.
Do you believe any of these?
- I am all alone. No one will ever want me.
- I am not enough for my kids.
- I don’t have enough strength to get through this night, this day, this week.
- I’m scared of what the future will bring.
- I don’t belong around other moms or at church.
- I’ve messed up too much in my life; I’ll never get it right; why do I even try.
- I’m damaged goods; no one will ever love me.
These are all lies of the enemy.
Related: 20 Bible Verses To Turn To When You’re Under Spiritual Attack
The good news is that God has an answer for each one of them in his Word.
The Lies Single Moms Believe and Truth of God
Here are just a couple of truths to counteract each of the lies single parents often believe. For a free printable of these to keep handy when the voices get too loud, click here.
- Lie: I am alone.
- Truth: God will never leave me. Hebrews 13:5
- Truth: Christ is with me always, even to the ends of the earth. Matthew 28:20
- Lie: I am not enough.
- Truth: God is pleased with how He made me. Genesis 1:31
- Truth: I am wonderfully made. Psalm 139:14
- Lie: I don’t have enough strength.
- Truth: I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
- Truth: The Lord renews my strength. Isaiah 40:29
Related: Encouraging Bible Verses for Single Moms
- Lie: I’m scared of the future.
- Truth: I have not been given a spirit of fear but of power, love and a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7
- Truth: I have a future of hope. Jeremiah 29:11
- Lie: I don’t belong.
- Truth: I am accepted. Romans 15:7
- Truth: I am a member of the body of Christ. 1 Corinthians 12:27
- Lie: I’ve messed up too much.
- Truth: I am free from condemnation. Romans 8:1
- Truth: I have been redeemed through God’s grace. Ephesians 1:7
Related: Single Moms & The Church: How to Find Your Way Back
- Lie: No one will ever love me.
- Truth: Nothing can separate me from the love of Christ. Romans 8:35
- Truth: I am chosen. John 15:16
How to break free from the lies
Get a free download of these 7 lies and the truth of God to help you whenever you start hearing the noise of the world speak louder to you than the voice of God. With this download, you will know exactly what to believe.
Or take it one step further and find out how to permanently break free from these lies: Affirming God’s Truth is designed specifically for single moms.